Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Misery

Well, I'd hoped to post something insightful by today, but sorry folks, I'm brain dead.

Saturday night I got hit with something nasty. The last four days have been spent sneezing, coughing and groaning. My lungs burn. Every joint aches. My throat is raw. I haven't showered, shaved or slept much for four days.

I looked in the mirror last night and scared myself.

A few blogs ago Marcia celebrated the band I play in, "Not Dead Yet." I feel like I' m close to falsifying our bands name.

Have you ever been so sick you get irritated just waking up -- because now you realize you have to be conscious? I wish someone would invent a pill you could take to go into a temporary coma to ride out this sort of thing.

At the same time, I realize that, while I may feel like I'm close to death, I'm going to be just fine in a few days. And I realize there are millions of people around the globe who are, at this very moment, experiencing much more misery than I am and who have no hope of getting out of it.

When I use my little slice of misery to empathize with their huge dose of misery, it makes my misery much more bearable.

Another example of the Kingdom principle that it's in our self-interest to put others' interests above our own interests (Phil. 2:3-4).

So, I should quite whining and go back to my semi-comatose T.V. staring.

But I certainly wouldn't mind any "quick recovery" prayers you'd shoot up on my behalf.

Thanks

Greg the half dead