Saturday, March 1, 2008

Let me tell you about my "Beso"

Hi folks,

I'd like to share with you a little bit about my adorable wife Shelley. It's her birthday today! I affectionately refer to her as "Beso" (pronounced bee-so) because.... actually, I have no idea, but that's been my name for her these last 25 years.

This is Shelley on vacation last summer, basking in the tranquility of the midsummer breeze...she is so BEAUTIFUL!

Shelley and I have been married 28 years. She's the love of my life, my best friend and my partner in ministry. I could not do what I do if it were not for her -- and this isn't just flowery husband talk! Honestly, Shelley is to me what a seeing-eye dog is to a blind person. She's my bridge to the normal world. She's the glue that holds my life together. Among a trillion other things, Shelley schedules all my appointments, reminds me on a moment-by-moment basis where I need to be and constantly provides me with insight on social situations that I, being quasi-autistic, completely lack (I couldn't pick up a social cue if it slapped me in the face!). Even more importantly, Shelley's love for me is a constant source of strength and encouragement. Beso...you are "the wind beneath my wings."


Shelley doesn't like a lot of fanfare. While she threw me the party of the century for my 50th birthday, Beso simply wanted to go out to a movie for hers. She loves pop-corn and I love Cherry Icees. Isn't she absolutely adorable? How did I get so lucky?

I can't believe how in love I am with my Beso. The way she delights in simple things, the way she perpetually fiddles around the house, the affectionate way she plays with our dogs and the way she so easily gets excited about our lives. She loves and accepts me, just as I am, with all my little idiosyncrasies. I love the history we have together, the family we've raised together, the friends we enjoy together, the ministry we do together and the process of aging we're now experiencing together.

Beso, I simply can't even imagine doing life without you.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!